Guidelines For Reporting LMU Student Rental Issues

School is back in session and reportedly, so are the loud parties.

Here is what you need to know to report student issues.

You can call both LAPD and LMU Department of Public Safety (DPS) anytime there is a nuisance or disturbing the peace incident – 24/7. If you’re hearing the noise further than 150 feet from the source, you should call.

You must also follow through and file a DPR (Disturbing the Peace Report) with LAPD. When you call LAPD tell the Dispatcher you want to file a DPR. This does not have to be done at the time of the incident. You can report that day or the next by going to the Pacific Division Police Station on the corner of Culver Blvd. and Centinela Avenue.

It is important to file a DPR as it puts the offending party house on the police radar, and if the house should become a chronic problem, the District Attorney will be able to file against the homeowner.

It would also be helpful for you and surrounding neighbors who witnessed the disturbance to attend the next LMU Neighbohood Advisory Council (“NAC”) meeting from 6:30 8:00 P.M. at the Westchester Senior Center, to make certain LMU is made aware of an issue. The only remaining in this calendar year is November 6, 2019.

If you have the contact information for the homeowner/landlord – they should be contacted as well and made aware of the problem.

Take pictures, make recordings. Sometimes the students find out that the police or DPS are on the way and they quiet down or move to another location before LAPD or DPS arrives, so you need to document what you’re observing.

To let LMU know of the incident, call or email:

Fred Puza – Associate Director of Community Relations
Office: 310-258-4656

Shannon M. Taylor, EdD – Director for Off Campus Student Life
Tel: 310.338.2350

When an incident is in progress: (noise, public nuisance, drunk students, etc.)

Call BOTH:
LAPD Dispatch 1-877-275-5273
LMU Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) 1-310-338-2893

Here is what LMU posts on its website about reporting students.